Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sticks and Stones


Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29


Today my heart is heavy for the lost world, but I feel while I am in a place of sorrow and loss for those who have not yet professed Jesus as their Lord and Savior, I want to get something else out which has been bothering me for a while.
The verse I referenced above has been an important life verse to me for several years. I have considered getting a tattoo on my wrist just to remind me every second of every day what it means. Yes, it’s that important. Yes, it is something I mess up daily. Paul wrote this in his letter to the church at Ephesus, they were to be living examples of the love of Christ. They were to set themselves apart, to show the world they were different. The same text applies to us now in present day. I’m sure if Paul were here now he’d have a LOT to say about social media!

 How often are we as Christians judged by what comes out of our mouths? All the time! In fact, ask most people who despise religious people or Christians why, and most of the time it will be because of what they hear us say.
Words are very powerful. In the past five years social media has exploded. Society has changed because of it. Social media can be a powerful tool and used in a positive way. It can promote love; it can share news of joy. It can also be used to spread hate and destroy lives.
Recently I have been puzzled by the actions of a few who profess boldly to be Christians but their written words have displayed quite the opposite. It’s heartbreaking to see my fellow believers whom I love destroy what is good by their words.  Do not get me wrong, I am not judging. I am deeply saddened and puzzled. I believe social media and public forums serve a purpose, but the purpose is not to tear down.  I urge those who are struggling to resolve bitterness in a private way, either through prayer or private conversations and resolutions, and examine the motive behind social media posts.
Brothers and sisters we are judged by society in our words and actions especially in public forums. We can’t profess to live for God’s Glory then spit in His face by our words. I’m not perfect and I don’t profess to be. This was profoundly on my heart and I felt it needed to be written.


1 Corinthians 13
New International Version (NIV)
13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part,10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.